On Costuming. . .


The best thing about costuming: There are so many costumes to build. Costuming is such a flexible hobby. When funds are tight, I can find something to build. When I can get extravagant, I can find something to build.

The worst thing about costuming: It is addictive. Every costume I build, every movie I see, every book I read, every dream I remember leads me to another dream project. Another costume on my to do list.

Princess Leia- ANH Gown

I have built two versions of Princess Leia's ANH gown. This is the first version. It looked pretty good. The drape of the fabric was perfect. It had seams at the sleeves, however and the movie dress does not. I also hadn't quite figured out the collar yet. This dress zipped in the back with an invisible zipper. Also, the hood was lined and WAY too heavy.



When I did the second version of this costume, I didn't use a pattern. There are no seams at the sleeves, it has a keyhole neckline and the hood is a single layer with a rolled hem. I built the blouse and skirt as separate pieces and then sewed them together. This allows the blouse to stay "blousey".

I need to get better photos of this dress.

No comments: