On Costuming. . .


The best thing about costuming: There are so many costumes to build. Costuming is such a flexible hobby. When funds are tight, I can find something to build. When I can get extravagant, I can find something to build.

The worst thing about costuming: It is addictive. Every costume I build, every movie I see, every book I read, every dream I remember leads me to another dream project. Another costume on my to do list.

Padme "Parade Gown"



Click on pictures to see the whole image.
11/24/08
I conscripted my friend Cindy to help me cut out the petals for the cape. While the dress in the film has petals that are dyed, I am using three different colored fabrics. I am using a shimmery chiffon in light pink, light yellow and white. I may add a peach color later. I also may use a fabric spray paint to dye sections of some petals if I think it needs it as it starts to come together.


Using EXCEL I made a "map" of where the petals will go. I blocked off 15 rows. I used it to get an idea of how many of each size/ color of petal I need. From the current map I am cutting 153 petals. By the end, I will probably have 200 or 250.

12/19/08
I've sewn the under dress. I used Simplicity pattern 3556.
Photobucket
I took off the sleeves, lined the bodice and lengthened the skirt.


I modified the "Wicked Witch" Cape.
Photobucket

Here is the back of my cape.Photobucket


I have used about 200 petals. I still want to add one more row second from the bottom.

Here is the cape over the dress. (The dress doesn't fit over my mannequin) Photobucket

I still need to do the front "tabbard" piece and the "parasol" piece.


Parasol

I got my mom to help me by painting the Parasol and Tabbard
Photobucket

Hair

I bought fake hair at Sally's Beauty Supply. I created four of the six loops with the fake hair.
Photobucket

I hot glued the hair to a barrette for easy hair days. The glue gun tended to melt the hair. I made it work.
Photobucket

The top and bottom loops are my hair. The other four are the fake ones.
Photobucket


FINISHED (Almost) I still need to add the metal ornaments around the "parasol piece"

Photobucket


Fiesta Bowl Parade 1-3-09

This is a great shot of the back of the costume.
Photobucket

I love this picture because it looks like I'm having a heartfelt moment with Jango Fett.
Photobucket

Yes, I actually walked the whole route in that costume.
Photobucket

No comments: